-excerpted from Lenore's
Natural Cuisine cookbook
Dried shiitake mushrooms add an earthy
flavor and color contrast to green leeks. They are reputed by traditional
medicine to help dissolve fat and cysts. Adapted from Jeff Woodward's
recipe in The Healing Power of Food.
6 dried shiitake
1 6-inch strip wakame
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
1 cup leeks, cut into
2 cups green cabbage,
5 cups boiling water
3 TBS. brown rice miso
1. Rinse shiitake mushrooms and place in
a small bowl. Cover them with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes. Place
a plate over the bowl to hold in the heat.
2. Meanwhile, cover wakame with water and soak for 5 minutes. The,
cut it into 1/2-inch squares. Set aside.
3. Cut off mushroom stems and discard. Cut caps into 1/4-inch
4. In a 4-quart pot, heat oil. SautÚ leeks and mushrooms 5 minutes.
5. Add cabbage to the pot. SautÚ 5 minutes.
6. Add wakame and 5 cups boiling water to the pot. Simmer covered for 30
7. In a small bowl, puree miso in a little hot broth with a spoon or
whisk. Return pureÚ to the pot.
barley miso for brown rice miso.
added flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of Herbamere« seasoning to step